It is essential to the health and safety of your cat, that they be kept indoors only. However, should your cat go missing, please follow these steps.
- Every moment counts! Do not wait and hope your cat returns before taking action!
- Search the perimeter of your home, under bushes and structures. A scared cat will want to hide.
- Alert your neighbors.
- Immediately, that same day...Call your Animal Control Officer.
- Call your local shelter, Paws of Plainville 508-695-4707. The shelter has experienced staff that can help you safely trap your cat. Or someone may have turned in your cat.
- Post your cat's photo, where it went missing, and your contact information on Facebook (if possible), or other social media forums.
- Create posters and post them around your neighborhood and adjacent areas as well.
- Finally, don't give up too soon.
- Take pictures and note when you first saw the cat.
- As quickly as possible, ask your neighbors if it belongs to them.
- Immediately, call your local Animal Control Officer.
- Please do not touch an animal you do not know. But try to safely assess the cat from a safe distance. When you do contact officials, you'll be able to give them a quick bit of information; Is it friendly? Does it seem sick? Is it wounded? Does it have kittens with it? This will give officials a sense of the urgency at hand.
- Feed the animal, if possible, to keep it around until it can be tended to by officials.