Curbside Collection Program
Trash Material Preparation
- Bag Preparation
- Unacceptable Bags
- Bulky Items
- Unacceptable Bulky Items
- Material NOT collected at the curb
Recyclable Material Preparation
- Recycling Collection General Information
- Recycling Container Requirements
- Recycling Proper Preparation
- Unacceptable Materials
Massachusetts "Waste Bans"
To receive trash and recyclable materials collection, Plainville residents either subscribe to the municipal collection program or contract with a private hauler. The town does not have a drop-off location for trash or recyclable materials. This web site describes the municipal collection program. Information on private haulers may be found in the Yellow Pages under "Rubbish Removal" or click here for a list of haulers licensed in the Town of Plainville.
Plainville's municipal collection program is a fully user fee funded "Pay-as-you-throw" program. There are no tax dollars used to support the program. Subscribers to the program pay only for the services they receive. Residents save money and protect our environment by recycling and reducing the amount of trash that they throw away.
If you have properly prepared your trash and recyclables for collection and your material was not picked up. Please call the hauler directly, E.L. Harvey & Sons at 1-800-321-3002 to report the missed stop.
Please refer to the following links to assure that your material was prepared properly before calling.
The following holidays will result in trash & recycling pick up being delayed ONE day for the remainder of the week. If the holiday falls on a Monday, Mondays pick up will be Tuesday, Tuesdays on Wednesdays, etc. for the rest of the week. Weather delays cannot be previously announced. If material is not picked up because of severe weather on your regular scheduled day, it will be picked up the next day.
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
Please note the following holidays will NOT result in any delays: Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Patriots Day, Veterans Day, Columbus Day
Highway Garage Drop off Center:
The drop off center will be OPEN on the following holidays: Martin Luther King Day, Patriots Day, and Columbus Day. Please note that the drop off area WILL be open on Veterans Day if it falls on a Monday or Saturday. Weather delays cannot be previously announced.
- Annual Collection Fee
- Trash Bag Disposal Fee
- Bulky Items Fee
- Trash Sticker Outlets (Bags, Special Waste & Bulky Items)
To receive collection services subscribers pay two separate fees, an annual collection fee and a per bag trash disposal fee.
Trash and recyclable materials are only collected from 1, 2 & 3 family households that subscribe to the municipal collection program. To subscribe residents pay an annual collection fee. Buildings with four or more units, condo complexes and businesses contract with a private hauler. The annual fee's are:
- Single Family Homes $150.00
- Two Family Homes-(separate drivesways) $150.00 each drive
- Two Family Homes-(common driveway) $220.00
- Three Family Homes $270.00
This covers the cost of collection of trash and recyclable materials from July through June. Subscribers must also pay a separate disposal fee for each 30 - 35 gallon size bag of trash.
Annual bills are mailed to every property owner of 1, 2 & 3 family homes in May. If you wish to participate in the program, return payment to the Board of Health office. If you do not wish to participate in the program, simply disregard the bill. When payment is made, residents will received an 8" x 8" colored sticker which is placed usually on your recycling bins. This stickers serves as proof of payment to the drivers. When the drivers see this sticker, they quickly know that you are participating in the collection program. Each year the color of the annual sticker is changed.
Residents may also choose to pay twice per year. A $3.00 processing fee is added to the second invoice which is mailed in November for service to continue January 1st. Residents that pay the half year fee will receive half of a sticker. When the second payment is received they will receive the bottom half.
The annual fee is only prorated for new construction or new property owners. If a resident wishes to begin collection service mid cycle, they will be required to pay for the entire year.
Refunds are not given. If a resident sells the property, any remaining collection fee should be settled at closing.
In order for trash to be collected, each 30 - 35 gallon size bag of trash must have a $1.50 PINK trash sticker affixed to it. Residents purchase their own bags and buy the trash stickers to put on the bags.
- Bulky items are paid with orange $2.50 trash stickers. ($5.00 = two orange stickers) ($20.00 = 8 orange stickers)
- All mattresses (crib, twin, double, queen and king size) will cost $20.00 each
- Large bulky items equal to or over 4 feet in height or length will cost $5.00 each
- Small bulky items under 4 feet in height or length costs $2.50 each
- Wood & Carpet must be under 4 feet.
Stickers for bags and "Special Waste" are available from Town Hall, Board of Health office and the following Retail outlets in town. There is no additional disposal fee for recyclable materials collected curbside.
- Ava's Market - 80 Taunton Street
- Cumberland Farms - 139 South Street
- Hilltop Stop - 56 Washington Street
- Mobil Mart - 11 Taunton Street (corner rt 152 & 106)
- Plainville Food Mart - 120 South Street
- Shell Gas Station - 10 Taunton Street
- South Liquor Mart - 431 South Street
- Stop & Shop - Taunton Street
- Bag Preparation
- Unacceptable Bags
- Bulky Items
- Unacceptable Bulky Items
- Materials NOT collected at the curb
All material must be curbside by 7:00 a.m. on your regularly scheduled collection day. Trash & recyclables are collected on the same day
- Each 30 - 35 gallon size bag must have a $1.50 trash sticker attached to the top of each bag
- Bags must be 35 pounds maximum
- Trash stickers should be placed around the neck of the bag, clearly visible to the driver, with the ends stuck to each other
- Residents may put out as many tagged bags as needed
- Bagged & tagged trash may be placed in trash barrels to protect it from wildlife. Bags must be easy to pull out of the barrel.
- Residents may use smaller size bags if they wish however to save money, white 13 - 17 gallon size kitchen bags should be placed in the larger 30 - 35 gallon size.
- Ripped bags will not be collected
- Bags weighing over 35 pounds will not be collected
- Bags put curbside after 7:00 a.m. will not be collected
- Bags that do not easily remove from a barrel will not be collected.
- Loose items will not be collected unless properly tagged as a bulky item
- Trash stickers that have been tampered with will be unacceptable
- All Bulky Waste will be collected on MONDAY'S ONLY. You must call E. L. Harvey & Sons at 1-800-321-3002 by noon on Friday to schedule collection.
- Residents are allowed to put out ONE non-metal bulky item per week with the correct amount of orange stickers.
- Bulky items must be curbside by 7:00 am on Monday after you have scheduled pick up.
- Bulky items are paid with ORANGE $2.50 special waste stickers attached. See user fee's for fee schedule
- $2.50 = one orange sticker, $5.00 = two orange stickers, $20.00 = 8 orange stickers
- All mattresses (crib, twin, double, queen and king size) will cost $20.00 each.
- Large bulky items equal to or over 4 feet in height or length will cost $5.00 each. This includes couches, dressers, bookshelves and boxsprings.
- NOTE: Sleeper sofa's must have the metal frame removed.
- Small bulky items under 4 feet in height or length cost $2.50 each.
- Bulky items include: household furniture, tables, couches, chairs, dressers, toilets, vanities. etc.
- Wood and carpet may be placed curbside as long as it is cut in 4 foot lengths or less, tied and bundled and easily handled by one person.
- Metal items (appliances, gas grills, bikes, lawnmovers, etc) - Accepted at the Recycling Center
- Glass & mirrors. Glass & mirrors if completely enclosed in cardboard and marked glass may be acceptable. It is up to the drivers discretion if it is safely prepared to prevent shattering during loading.
- TV's & Computers - Accepted at the Recycling Center
- Hazardous Materials - Click here for management options
- Yard Waste - Accepted at the Recycling Center
- Asphalt, concrete, bricks, etc.
- Large amounts of construction debris
- Tires - Accepted at the Recycling Center
- Wood or carpet longer than 4 feet
- Materials placed curbside after 7:00 a.m.
- Excessively heavy items. (there is only one person per truck)
The following items are not collected at the curb but may be dropped off at the Recycling Center at the Highway Garage.
- Metal items
- TV's & Computers
- Yard Waste
- Propane Tanks
- Fluorescent Bulbs
- Cardboard larger than 2' x 2'
- Textiles and clothing
- Hazardous Waste, Household Hazardous waste may NOT be dropped off at the Recycling Center. Household Hazardous Waste Drop Off is scheduled once per year usually in the Spring.
All paper, cardboard, glass, plastic and metal bottles, cans, jars and jugs may be placed in the same container. You do not have to separate paper & cardboard from co-mingled (glass, plastic & metal). Only the material listed as acceptable recyclables will be collected curbside. All other itmes must be disposed of as trash or recycling in other ways.
Please help to keep cost down and only recycle acceptable materials and avoid contamination.
- Recycling collection general information
- Recycling Container requirements
- Recycling Preparation
- Unacceptable materials
- All accepatble recyclables can be placed in the same container
- All material must be curbside by 7:00 a.m. on your regulary scheduled collection day
- Recyclables and trash are collected on the same day at the same time with a co-collection vehicle.
- The town does not supply recycling containers, you may use any container of your choice.
- Recycling containers must be easily handled by one person
- You may use a standard blue recycling container, other hard sturdy containers (i.e. milk crate, laundry basket, etc) or
- You may use a standard trash container that is NO LARGER THAN 35-GALLON CAPACITY.
- Recycling container must be clearly labeled or identified as a RECYCLING container. The Board of Health office has "RECYCLING" labels. A non-textured, smooth surface works best for labels
- Filled recycling containers cannot exceed 35 pounds.
- You may use as many recycling containers as needed
|What to Recycle||How to Prepare||Unacceptable|
Newspaper & inserts
Magazines & Catalogs
Paper & stationery (all colors)
Office paper, folders
Paperboard (e.g. cereal, pasta, tissue boxes)
Junk mail and envelopes (windows ok)
Place in recycling bin
Place in PAPER bags (no plastic bags)
Newspaper can be tied and bundled
NO PLASTIC BAGS
NO SOILED CARDBOARD (dirty pizza boxes, paint, oil residue, etc)
NO PAPER TOWELS, NAPKINS, TISSUES, CUPS OR PLATES
NO WAX OR FOIL COATED ITEMS
(milk or juice cartons)NO SHREDDED PAPER
NO HARD COVERED BOOKS (drop off available)
NO TAKE-OUT CONTAIENRS.
Cardboard must be flattened
Cardboard must be no larger than 2' x 2'
NO SOILED CARDBOARD
(dirty pizza boxes, paint, oil residue)
NO LARGER THAN 2' X 2' (drop off available)
|Glass - BOTTLES & JARS ONLY|
Remove lids & corks
Labels & rings are OK
NO BROKEN GLASS
NO LIGHT BULBS, PYREX, CERAMICS
NO MIRRORS, WINDOW OR AUTO GLASS
NO DRINKING GLASSES, VASES
NO PLATE GLASS
Plastic - BOTTLES, JARS & JUGS ONLY
used for beverage, food, kitchen, laundry, bath,
household products, etc.
Labels are OK
NO UNMARKED ITEMS
NO PLASTIC BAGS, PLASTIC WRAP
NO MOTOR OIL/CHEMICAL CONTAINERS
NO STYROFOAM OR FOAM CONTAINERS
(meat trays, styrofoam cups, etc)
NO PACKAGING PEANUTS
NO FLOWER POTS, TOYS, LAUNDRY BASKETS
NO TAKE-OUT CONTAINERS
NO PLASTIC PLATES, CUPS, UTENSILS, STRAWS, ETC
|Metal Cans - Aluminum & Metal food and beverage cans, lids|
Labels are OK
Flatten or nest for room
NO METAL ITEM THAT IS NOT A CAN
NO PAINT OR SOLVENT CANS
NO AEROSOL CANS
NO SCRAP METAL (drop off available)
NO PROPANE TANKS (drop off available)
- All material that is listed in the above charts as unacceptable (except for items that have drop off available) should be disposed of as trash
- Item where drop off is available should be brought to the Recycling Center at the Highway Garage