- “Board”: shall mean Plainville Board of Selectmen
- "Commission": shall mean the Plainville Conservation Commission.
- "Hawkins Woods": shall mean the 103 acre parcel off Hawkins Street, southerly of Peck Road under the jurisdiction of the Plainville Board of Selectmen.
- “Enforcing agent”: shall include Plainville Police Department, Massachusetts Environmental Police or Plainville Conservation Agent.
- "Motorized vehicle": means any mechanically propelled vehicle running on rubber tires, belts, cleats, tracks, skis or cushion of air and dependent on the ground or surface for travel, or other unimproved terrain whether covered by ice or snow or not, where the operator sits in or on the vehicle. Motorized vehicles include, but are not limited to, cars, trucks, jeeps, SUVs, all-terrain vehicles, off-road vehicles, snowmobiles, motorbikes, mini-bikes, motorized scooters, or motorcycles. Motorized vehicles also include motorized boats. Motorized vehicles that are required for handicap accessibility are exempt from this definition as long as they are used for passive recreational activities.
Rules and Regulations
Hawkins Woods is a 103-acre parcel of land located off Hawkins Street just southerly of Peck Road. The Board of Selectmen invite everyone to enjoy Hawkins Woods for passive recreational activities. The Board has adopted these regulations under its authority to make regulations for Town owned lands in order to protect wildlife habitat, prevent erosion, and provide an enjoyable experience for all persons using the land. The disc golf course on the site is operated by Hawkins Woods Disc Golf, Inc., a local non-profit group. The course was built, and is maintained, through local donations. This course is free to use by the local public, but please be considerate of other players and do not damage the equipment – a lot a volunteer time and effort has gone into creating the course for your use. The course is not available for public use during tournaments, which are scheduled through the Plainville
Conservation Office: Please feel free to call town hall at 508-576-8494 to see if the course is available if you must play on a specific day.
- Hawkins Woods and associated parking are open from dawn to dusk. Parking after dusk is prohibited.
- The Board and the Town of Plainville are not liable for injuries, damage to property, theft of personal property or other losses incurred while using the conservation lands. Persons using the lands assume all and any risks involved with use of the land.
- All cans bottles, litter, and garbage or any other any materials brought onto the property are to be taken away by the user.
Allowed Activities and Uses
- Hawkins Woods may be used for passive recreation, including hiking, jogging, canoeing, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, horseback riding, picnicking, education, disc golf, geocaching and nature study.
- Dogs shall be kept under owners’ control at all times. Dogs shall not be allowed to dig holes or otherwise damage the land. Dogs shall not be allowed to endanger wildlife or the natural vegetation.
- Non-motorized bicycle riding is permitted except on restricted trails and along the disc golf course. The bike rider shall not damage the trail or endanger other trail users. Neither shall the bike rider endanger wildlife or vegetation. The bike rider shall stay on the trails.
- Use of Hawkins Woods by groups/organizations having an adult leader present at all times may be allowed with prior notification and approval of the Conservation Agent.
- Camping overnight may be allowed for groups/organizations having an adult leader present at all times.
- Every group/organization shall obtain prior written permission from the Conservation Agent, and must each time notify the chief of police of both exact dates of occupancy and identity of the accompanying responsible adult.
- A permit from the fire department is required for open fires.
- Hunting is allowed in season with license and in accord with applicable law.
- Motorized vehicles are prohibited except for emergency response by the Police and Fire Departments, or maintenance activities, or with prior written permission of the Conservation Agent, or in specified parking areas.
- No person shall cut, break, remove, deface, or defile any structure, fence, sign, growing trees, bushes, rocks, soil, plants or flowers except by written authorization of the Conservation Agent.
- No trails shall be cut or marked, no dams built, no structure such as a lean-to, bridge, etc. shall be constructed except by written authorization of the Conservation Agent.
- The disposal of trash, yard waste, or the dumping of any other material on conservation land is prohibited.
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
- Target shooting is prohibited.
- Use of projectile launching, except for licensed hunting, is prohibited.
- The use of Hawkins Woods for commercial purposes is not allowed except by written authorization of the Conservation Agent.
Violations of these regulations may be punishable by fine. A fine of not more than $200 per day shall be imposed for any violation of these regulations. These fines may be imposed by any enforcing agent listed above. Each day shall constitute a new offense.
Rules and Regulations for the Use of Hawkins Woods – Adopted 3/18/2019 by the Plainville Board of Selectmen; Effective 3/19/2019.
The foregoing Regulations shall be prominently displayed at the Hawkins Woods parking lot kiosk, shall be available to the public, be given to all individuals seeking use permits and be posted on the Town of Plainville website.
|Rules and Regulations for the Use of Hawkins Woods||386.53 KB|