REGIONAL COMMUNICATIONS CENTER
The Metacomet Regional Emergency Communications Center (MECC) is a six town Regional Emergency
Communications Center located in Norfolk.The six towns served by the MECC are Franklin, Mendon, Millville,
Norfolk, Plainville and Wrentham. The objective of the MECC is to provide both the citizens and emergency
responders in each community with the highest quality dispatch services and professional communications
with an emphasis placed on safety, accuracy and cooperation. The center is staffed 24/7 and is responsible
for answering all E-911 calls in each community, answering business lines and dispatching appropriate
emergency responders based on the nature of the call.
It is important to remember that when you call for assistance you will be asked to specify which town the
incident is in that you are reporting. Do not assume that the dispatcher knows that when you report an
incident on Main St that they know which town you are in, as more than one town has a Main St.
All MECC dispatchers are certified in Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD). When you call to report a medical
emergency the dispatcher will ask you a series of questions and when applicable will provide you with pre-
arrival instructions. While this is happening, rest assured that another dispatcher is dispatching the
911 Calling Tips
To report a crime:
- To report a fire
- To save a life
- Stay calm and speak clearly.
- Be sure to listen carefully and answer all of the Telecommunication’s questions to the best of your ability.
- Do not hang up until the 9-1-1 call taker has obtained all of the information that is needed.
- If you cannot speak, you can still communicate with the call taker by using your phone's key pad.
Once the call taker answers:
- Press the # 1 if you need POLICE
- Press the# 2 if you need FIRE
- Press the# 3 if you need an AMBULANCE
- Cordless phone will not work during power outages, so it is important to always keep a corded phone in your home in case of an emergency.
- If you have a Voice Over Internet (VoIP) phone it is important to be aware of ANY and ALL limitation it has on calling 9-1-1.