The Plainville Park & Recreation is running their 3rd annual wiffleball tournament on Sunday October 15th at the Fall Festival.
Sunday, October 15th 2017
Register your team on-line at the town website under Park Department page (Sign-UP) by clicking on checkbox choice: Wiffle Ball Tournament. Or you can click on this direct link: http://www.plainville.ma.us/park-department/webforms/sign
Cost: $50/ team. Team consists of 5 players. (Please list all 5 players names & ages on team registration/Sign-up).
- 12 years old and under
- 13 years and older
Location: Telford Park
Time: Games start at 12pm
Rules: Double Elimination, beginning rounds will be played in 3 inning games. Semi-Finals and Finals will be played in 5 inning games.
Payment: Checks should be made payable to: Plainville Park Department. Mail to: PO BOX 1717, Plainville, MA 02762
- Chairs and Strike Zones will be used to determine the strike zone. Any pitch hitting the border of or within the target (chairback) is called a strike.
- Any combination of 2 missed swings, called strikes, and/or foul balls in an out. Four balls is a walk. Hit batters do not take a base.
- 3 outs per inning. 3 innings per game for beginning rounds.
- The batting order must include everyone on the team and remain constant throughout the entire game.
- Hits are determined by designated field areas. A ball reaching the ground on or past the singles line is a single, landing on or past the doubles line in the air is a double, hitting the fence or home run line is a triple, and landing over the fence or home run line is a Home Run. If a ball deflects off a fielder in one area and lands in another (before touching the ground), the hit will be determined by the area the ball lands in, NOT where it deflected off the fielder.
- No base running. Imaginary runners ONLY
- On a walk, runners advance only when forced. On a hit, all runners advance the same number of bases as the hit.
- Teams must keep track of their own base-runners, counts, lineups and scores, and reach decisions together on fair/foul balls and safe/out calls. Tournament staff will settle any disputes or answer any questions regarding the rules. If the tournament staff is involved, their decision is final.
- Up to four players are allowed in the field during play (including the pitcher). Each can position him/herself anywhere in fair territory beyond the singles line/pitcher’s mound.
- Infielders may take one step in from the singles line to field a ground ball, which must be fielded WITHOUT any bobbling to be an out, otherwise it is ruled a single. Fly balls may be bobbled but must be caught before touching the ground/fence to be an out.
- All plays must be made using only human extremities (no hats, gloves, or anything else may be used to aid the fielder)
- On a ground-out and if there is a double play force-out situation, the fielder can attempt to throw and hit the strike zone in the air for a double play. If successful, the batter and runner on first base are out. If unsuccessful, only the batter is out. In both cases, all other runners hold their positions. The fielder must make the attempt immediately upon cleanly fielding the ground ball (i.e., the process must be completed in one continuous motion). In other words, it doesn’t hurt to try for the double.
- Pitching and fielding substitutions can be made at any time between at bats, but NOT during them. A pitcher cannot be relieved and re-enter the game as a pitcher until the inning after which he/she has been relieved.
- RECREATIONAL DIVISION ONLY: Pitchers may pitch from no closer than one step in from the singles line/pitcher’s mound.
- Following the completion of round robin play, any ties in the standing will be broken in the following order:
- head--to--head record
- highest overall run differential
- most overall runs scored
- least overall runs allowed
- highest head -to- head run differential
- Plainville Park & Recreation Volunteers reserve the right to make changes and final decisions during the tournament. This is self-monitoring, please make the best of it and have fun!