How do I get my discharge upgraded or changed?

Each of the military services maintains a discharge review board with the authority to change, correct, or modify discharges or dismissals that are not issued by a sentence of a general court-martial. The board has no authority to address medical discharges. The veteran or his surviving spouse, next of kin, or legal representative, may apply for a review of discharge by writing to the military department concerned, using Department of Defense Form 293 and also DD 149. You can obtain this form from your local VA regional office, call 800-827-1000, from veterans service organizations, or online.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Veteran Identification Card (VIC) and how do I get one?
2. How can I check on the status of my pending claim? Can I check status online ?
3. Did you know Military retirees should update your DEERS record and Military Retiree ID Card when eligible for Medicare?
4. What information, services and benefits does VA provide to veterans regarding Agent Orange?
5. Can I get a loan from VA to buy a house?
6. Can I obtain free prescriptions from VA?
7. What services are available from the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) programs for veterans with service-connected disabilities?
8. Does VA provide dental care and how do I qualify?
9. Do I still need Medicare Parts A and B if I receive my health care from VA?
10. What benefits and services are available for spouses and dependents of deceased veterans?
11. What assistance / support does VA provide to caregivers of veterans who are not hospitalized?
12. How do I get my discharge upgraded or changed?